"Take me places"
So today I went down to the Singapore Arts Museum to go to my lecturers art exhibition. He was a feature artist for this exhibition. However, I was surprised when I got there because I had no idea what the theme of this exhibition was about. I went there thinking that I would just get the see my lecturers art pieces but I was so wrong. I had the opportunity to admire the simple yet moving art pieces of people who are battling life with chronic illnesses. The exhibition was a medium for them to express their true emotions and how they really felt about living with these "constraints". I thought I would be seeing really artsy fartsy pieces but really it was just genuine art that was used to express the way they really felt. Words were not enough to just express how tough life is with these illnesses.
I expected to just see art pieces by my lecturer but really he was just there to guide them and not there to be the centre piece. He was there to help them express themselves through art. Give them a voice to shout and an audience to listen.
As I'm studying Graphic Communication I was tasked to comment about their leaflets and posters. The leaflets and handouts were design in such a way that it would look like a plane ticket and a passport. I personally thought it was genius. The theme to me was for the people living with chronic illness to spread their wings and soar despite these set backs in life. The plane ticket and passport design really re-enforced this theme.
The only problem I had with the design was that it was too clustered with words. I thought they could have shortened the text by keeping it shorter and minimal. This would have a lesser chance of losing the viewers attention. BUT this is just a very minor gripe with the design.
Today's visit opened my eyes to see the world from a different perspective, To see life as someone living with a disability and it took it one step further to also show me how they FELT as they continued on this journey of life.
No comments:
Post a Comment