Brainstorming
So this week, We continue our study of brainstorming. Last weeks assignment we were to brainstorm together about a topic. I personally think we got the best topic. "101 ways to kill a cockroach". I finally felt like I could express how crazy my mind wonders. This assignments was seriously fun but it would have been more productive if a certain someone in the group contributed better.
We started out class with a pretty heavy question. "What is your role as a designer?" I looked around at my team mates and we all had the same expression on our faces. The face of a "blur sotong". We wrecked our brains trying to think why we are pursuing what we are pursuing. I could only think of the things that came from the top of my head. But, Mr Rahman added to the question about morality. Would I design something if it was immoral. He gave the example of cutting down a tree and ruining the environment just to suit the clients needs and for the money. Honestly, if you're asking me about a tree, sure why not. I still get paid. BUT if you ask me to design work for something immoral and against my belief. I would not do it. If it goes against what I believe, I won't do it. I understand how we have to compromise when we design but I would definitely have to consider. My role I guess is to meet the needs of the problem. My role is to express our ideas, to express the ideas of my clients. My role is to inspire people and even inspire myself. My role is to use Graphic Design to connect people, to appeal to people in such way that it conveys my message. My role is to communicate.
Perspectives
So halfway true class, Mr Rahman asked us to meet him at the statue. He just stood there and asked us to lie on the ground. The expression on our faces was priceless. "On the tiles? Seriously?"
It was a crazy exercise at first but as i laid down and stared at the sky. I realised how many things i wrote down on my note book. I never knew how the buildings obstructed our view of the blue sky. I never realised how loud things were on my side. I noticed so many new things. You can see some of my thought on the last picture. But i learnt one simple thing after i pondered about the exercise. Despite the eyes on us we still did it. I realised that throughout life, people will look at us differently because of what we do. It taught me that people's darting eyes, murmurs and opinions do not have to affect me. Yup thats a little revelation I got whilst on the ground.




No comments:
Post a Comment