Thursday, 30 July 2015

Breaking the Rules, sort of :)

So I have to blog about ground breaking and rule breaking posters. However, nowadays it's so hard to find media that break the rules. Today media is very controlled and as graphic designers, your work only gets published or used if it fits in-between the rules of your client. There would be lesser shock value and  would be more tailored to how the clients want it. Plus, the art pieces have to be throughly checked out so that it does not gain the client any unwanted persecution like if the design defies racial and social norms. The images below are designs that are unique and designs that , I feel, stand out. However, i have also included some designs that have been ridiculously, ludicrously and outrageously rule breaking that it comes of as provocative and down right offensive. Sorry hahahaha.  
I liked this design by the WWF as it brings to light the message without any form of text. They made the burning forest in the shape of a toothbrush. The photo manipulation here makes the viewer immediately understand that the production of plastic toothbrushes are causing deforestations. It makes the viewer think twice about their own actions. 

This poster is about graphic design and I liked how the construction of lines created depth and contrast even though the image is simply black, white and grey. 




I really liked this design for its simplicity. It's ground breaking to me as it defies the usual designs we see everyday. We are usually bombarded with saturated colours and noisy texts and it is something refreshing to see a design so simple.The honesty and simplicity of this design attracts consumer today as more consumers are seeking out more down-to-earth and handcrafted designs.

This book cover was designed based on the haunting yet cool character. I've watched the movie that was based on this book and I realised that this book cover portrayed the character very well. The dark and gritty nature of this cover really shows the part man part devil personality of the character. 


NOW for the raunchy and "groundbreaking" designs. The designs below are offensives as they were trying to be shocking. These poster were from the past where people had more freedom to advertise their products with no regard for racial and gender inequality. 

This advertisement was to sell this jewish ordinated breakfast spread. However, they showed an african-american child enjoying the bread. They singled out a single ethnic group to show that even african americans also enjoy a jewish spread which was wrong as they targeted a whole ethnic group. The shock value was that they would actually single out this ethnic group but it was just offensive. 

I've saved the worst for last. or best for last. Well whatever, here it is. I really REALLY dislike this poster. It dehumanises the woman in the poster .Stepping on her head and making her look like some kind of wild animal is extremely sexist. The stepping of the head shows that the man treats her like a carpet and that she isn't worthy to be treated like a normal female. AND all of this sexist and gender inequality just to advertise PANTS!


No comments:

Post a Comment